Friendships: The Good and the Toxic

       How do you sort the good from the bad? Avoiding toxic relationships isn't a skill you're born with, (though I wish it was) and it can take a long time to really find "your people." We find ourselves caught up in time and other aspects of life that we don't realize that we are truly unhappy.

       It took me a long time to try and figure out what made me happy. I found myself stuck hanging around with people who I didn't like and people who made me feel down about myself. Once I realized those people were toxic I took a good three months (at least) to distance myself and rebuild friendship with other people. I've learned that sometimes the people that you have been friends with the longest may not be the best person for you. Distancing those people from my life helped me begin an ongoing journey of finding myself and the people I clique with.

       Unfortunately there isn't a guide of how to find the right friends nor can I provide you with one. Finding the right people and deciding who truly makes you happy can't come from a textbook, it has to come from within yourself. The most I can do is give you some tips on how to identify toxic friends.

       One of the biggest aspects of a friendship is respect. A huge red flag of a toxic relationship is a feeling of lack of respect. Is your friend starting to disrespect you? Your family? Or even something you enjoy, like a hobby? If your feeling like there is a loss of respect for you, chances are you will see other traits of an unhealthy friendship with that person.

       In a friendship there has to be an even amount of give and take. There is more than one person in a friendship and pleasing yourself is just as important as pleasing the other person. Do you always do things the other person wants to do? Or going to movies they want to see? Either way, we find ourselves trying to make the other person happy rather than doing what is best for ourselves as well. Finding yourself forgetting yourself and your needs in a friendship is key to identifying a toxic friendship.

       In the long run friends can really help shape you into who you really are. Being around unhappy people and people who make you unhappy aren't going to help you in your strive for happiness. Take time to detox your friends just like you do with you body. Who you have around you is just as important as whats inside.
Happy Thoughts!
-Katie

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/katieehardiing/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/katieehardiing 



Comments

  1. I really like this post! I find it super inspiring! I saw your comment on Zoella's blog. Do you want to be blog friends?
    By the way your blog is really good. Once you have more posts I think your blog will be really nice and grow really big.

    If you would like to be my friend please check out my blog!

    https://fennatbe.wixsite.com/fennasblog

    Love's Fenna <3!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for checking out my blog! I appreciate the support. I'd love to check out your blog! <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 Facts About Me!

The Ultimate Spring Break Staycation!

Come Hiking With Me!